- Masking permanently stained teeth.
- Closing Diastemas – spaces between your teeth.
- Straightening misaligned teeth.
- Improving the appearance of damaged or broken teeth due to decay or trauma.
Each veneer is individually handcrafted by our dental technician to correct the appearance of your teeth to create a healthy natural look.
The first part of the procedure will be a consultation appointment, this is when you can discuss with the dentist the concerns you have with your teeth and explain how you would like them improved.
If you decide that veneers are for you, two appointments are then needed. The first appointment is when the dentist prepares the teeth and then a second is to fit the veneers.
- The dentist will give you a local anaesthetic to numb the tooth and the surrounding gum.
- A small amount of tooth is removed from the front surface of your tooth to make room for the veneers. The dentist will do this using a fast hand drill.
- An impression (mould) is taken of your teeth using special dental "putty". The putty is placed into an impression tray; they are both then inserted into your mouth and pushed onto your teeth in order to take an impression. Once the dental putty is set the impression will be removed. An impression is also taken of the opposing teeth, so the technician can see how you bite together.
- The dentist may fit temporary veneers to protect the teeth whilst your veneers are being fabricated.
- The impression (mould) of your teeth is sent to the Dental Laboratory where each veneer will be handcrafted to create your new smile. This process can take between two and three weeks.
- Your temporary veneers will be removed and your teeth will be washed to remove any remaining cement.
- Your new veneers will be temporarily placed using a special paste which will allow the dentist to make any adjustments that are required and to make sure that you are happy with the appearance.
- The veneers will then be removed and the tooth surface prepared for the dental adhesive. The veneers will be permanently cemented in place to create the beautiful smile you have been waiting for.
Veneers can last a long time but a lot depends on how you take care of them. You must maintain good oral hygiene brushing and flossing twice a day, also have 6 monthly examinations with your dentists.
Habits that damaged your natural teeth, like biting pens and pencils, opening bottle tops with your teeth and biting your nails will also damage your veneers.
What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers (sometimes called porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates) are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-coloured materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve your appearance. These shells are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their colour, shape, size, or length.
Dental veneers in Bulleen can be made from porcelain or from resin composite materials. Porcelain veneers resist stains better than resin veneers and better mimic the light reflecting properties of natural teeth. You will need to discuss the best choice of veneer material for you with your dentist.What Types of Problems Do Dental Veneers Fix?
- Teeth that are discoloured -- either because of root canal treatment; stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride or other causes; or the presence of large resin fillings that have discoloured the tooth
- Teeth that are worn down
- Teeth that are chipped or broken
- Teeth that are misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped (for example, have craters or bulges in them)
- Teeth with gaps between them (to close the space between these teeth)
What Are the Advantages of Dental Veneers?
Veneers offer the following advantages:
- They provide a natural tooth appearance.
- Gum tissue tolerates porcelain well.
- Porcelain veneers are stain resistant.
- The colour of a porcelain veneer can be selected such that it makes dark teeth appear whiter.
- Veneers offer a conservative approach to changing a tooth's colour and shape; veneers generally don't require the extensive shaping prior to the procedure that crowns do, yet offer a stronger, more aesthetic alternative.
Veneers generally last up to 7 and 15 years. After this time, the veneers would need to be replaced.Do Dental Veneers Require Special Care?
Dental veneers in Bulleen do not require any special care. Continue to follow good oral hygiene practices, including brushing, flossing, and rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash as you normally would.
Even though porcelain veneers resist stains, your dentist may recommend that you avoid stain-causing foods and beverages