Dental implants are metal posts or frame that is surgically positioned in your jawbone. Once they are done they allow your dentist to mount replacement teeth onto them. Dental implant can be used to replace
- One tooth – One implant will be placed, a crown will then be fixed on top of the implant.
- Several teeth – Either several implants and crowns will be placed or a dental bridge will be fitted onto the implants.
- All the teeth – A number of implants are placed, then either a fixed bridge will be fitted with the implants or the implants will be used to firmly hold a removable denture.
Tips for Dental Implants
Most of the implants are successful but there are few steps you should consider so that the dental list can implant last.
- Practice good oral hygiene: Make sure you brush twice a day and floss once a day. It would be much better if you can use interdental brushes, brushes that can slide between teeth, as these brushes can help clean the hard to reach areas around your implants.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking leads to implant failure as they weaken the bone structure.
- Regular dental check-ups: Make sure that you visit your dentists every six month as regular cleanings and exams can help ensure that your implant is in good condition
- Better to avoid chewing on hard foods: Don’t chew on hard items such as ice and hard candy as they can break the crown and your natural teeth.
Use the appropriate tool to clean the implant where it meets the gum.